Perils for Pedestrians
TV talk about people who walk
Episodes 1 to 10 of Perils for Pedestrians
All episodes are 28 minutes long. A new episode is released
Click on any photo for a larger image, a description, and the video.
- A new report, "Mean Streets", looks at the silent epidemic of pedestrian fatalities under the wheels of the automobile. 6,000 pedestrians die every year in the United States!
- The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Walk is the first Sunday in May. 50,000 Maryland residents get up early to participate.
- A homeowner is happy with his new sidewalk in Bethesda, Maryland.
- A community looks at alternatives to a proposed new highway, which would separate homes from each other and from churches and schools.
- Intersection of the Month - Lee Highway and Gallows Road in Merrifield, Virginia.
- ISTEA funds building sidewalks in Clifton, Virginia.
- New bike lanes provide safe school access in Wickenberg, Arizona.
- Development of a General Management Plan for Rock Creek Park, Washington, DC.
- Intersection of the month Wilson Blvd. and Oakland Street, Arlington, Virginia.
- Long range transportation vision planning by the Metropolitan Washington DC Council of Governments.
- Intersection of the month Fernwood Road and Democracy Boulevard, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Missing sidewalks along arterials in northwest Columbus, Ohio.
- Hawaii Centers for Independent Living support pedestrians with disabilities.
- Intersection of the month Bradley Boulevard and Goldsboro Road, Bethesda Maryland.
- Experimental flashing crosswalks in Santa Rosa, California.
- The Bay Trail, a 400 mile mixed use trail circling San Francisco Bay. California.
- Bicycle actuated traffic signals in Berkeley, California.
- More speeches at the Capital Crescent Trail dedication in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Trail etiquette on a mixed use trail.
- Intersection of the month Leesburg Pike at Tysons Corner Center, Tysons Corner, Virginia.
- The Hawaii Bicycling League: advocacy and education.
- Peoples Advocacy for Trails Hawaii (PATH): more advocacy and education.
- The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center: a different type of peril. Ewa Beach, Hawaii.
- TheBus: Oahu Hawaii's award winning transit system.
- Volunteers maintain sidewalks on Community Service Day, Bethesda, Maryland.
- A dangerous underpass with no space for pedestrians in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Dedication of the Capital Crescent Trail in Bethesda, Maryland. Remarks by Rep. James Oberstar(D-Minnesota).
- Intersection of the month Fairfax Circle in Fairfax County, Virginia.
- Revitalizing an older neighborhood with the Renew Montgomery County, Maryland program.
- Bike Bethesda, Maryland Day, with a police bicycle competition and a children's bicycle safety rodeo.
- Bill Wilkinson of the Bicycle Federation of America discusses ISTEA, The Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act.
- Intersection of the month Richmond Highway and Kings Highway, Fairfax County, Virginia.
- Sidewalks that end just short of school crossings, Bethesda, Maryland.
- The Pikes Peak Area Trails Coalition and natural and paved trails in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Plans to make downtown Colorado Springs pedestrian friendly.
- Transportation Concepts 2000, and their concerns for pedestrians in Colorado Springs.
- Intersection of the month Seven Corners in Falls Church, Virginia.
- Missing sidewalk on the border between Maryland and the District of Columbia.
- A possible new trolley line between Bethesda and Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Bicycle racks on buses in Montgomery County, Maryland.
- Missing sidewalks near subway stops in northern Virginia.
- A new sidewalk resembles a maze because of a lawsuit.
- Intersection of the month Shady Grove Road and Route 355, Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Families protest for a sidewalk on Brookville Road, Chevy Chase Village, Maryland.
- A student group promotes awareness of people with disabilities at the University of Missouri.
- The Highway Department forgot to put in curb cuts along a rebuilt road in Columbia, Missouri.
- A blind pedestrian has problems with missing sidewalks in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- A children's bicycle safety rodeo in Vienna, Virginia.
- Walking along a road crossing over the Washington, DC Beltway can be challenging when the highway engineers forget to think about pedestrians.
- Intersection of the month King Street, Braddock Road, and Quaker Lane in Alexandria, Virginia.