Perils for Pedestrians
TV talk about people who walk
Episodes 61 to 70 of Perils for Pedestrians
All episodes are 28 minutes long. A new episode is released
Click on any photo for a larger image, a description, and the video.
Episode 70: New England
- Walk Boston takes part in National Walk to Lunch Day.
- Graduate students from Tufts University helped Walk Boston organize the event.
- A bike path and railroad track co-exist in Hallowell, Maine.
- In Burlington, Vermont, the city puts a priority on pedestrians and bicyclists.
- The Burlington Bike Council provides citizen input to the city.
- One downtown Burlington resident seldom needs to use his car.
- In New Hampshire, Pathways for Keene provides private support for a trail system in town.
- Path to Health walking routes in Rhode Island bring an Irish program to the United States.
Episode 69: New England
- The Kids and Transportation education program teaches mobility to children in Portland, Maine.
- The Golden Shoes treasure hunt makes walking fun in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- The Cambridge Walks coalition promotes walking in several ways.
- The Connecticut Bicycle Coalition in Hartford, Connecticut, has issued a report, Deadly By Design.
- A National Heritage Corridor follows the Blackstone River from Worcester, Massachusetts, to Providence, Rhode Island.
- The group Local Motion promotes walking and bicycling in Burlington, Vermont.
- An historic pedestrian bridge has a modern problem where it ends at a busy road in Brunswick, Maine.
- The Ashuelot covered bridge has pedestrian walkways along both sides in New Hampshire.
- The advocate who led the campaign for the Huckleberry Trail in Blacksburg, Virginia.
- A dangerous intersection lies between elderly residents and their Synagogue in San Diego, California.
- Researchers at San Diego State University explore the relationship between walkable neighborhoods and physical activity.
- Problems resulting from head injuries.
- A Hawaii state delegate from Ewa heads an effort to improve pedestrian safety in his district.
- Obstacles confronting pedestrians with disabilities in Anchorage, Alaska.
- A major apartment complex in Alexandria, Virginia, is not easy to reach on foot.
- The New Partners for Smart Growth Conference in San Diego, California.
- Safe Routes to School in California.
- A chat with the Vice Chair of Walk San Diego.
- The late Susie Stephens of the Thunderhead Alliance.
- Idaho Smart Growth and the Treasure Valley.
- Four perspectives on Maryland's Live Near Your Work program:
- The state;
- The locality;
- The employer;
- The employee.
- The Atlanta Bicycle Campaign works to make Atlanta bicycle-friendly.
- The Milwaukee Art Museum and its distinctive pedestrian bridge.
- The Idaho Urban Research and Design Center in Boise, Idaho
- Difficult intersections of trails with roads in Missoula, Montana
- Envision Utah and growth issues along the Wasatch Front, Salt Lake City, Utah
- The Safe Passages program for school children in Draper, Utah.
- Research on cell phones and driving distractions at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.
- Separate trails for pedestrians and bicyclists in congested areas of Denver, Colorado.
- The Neighborhood Pace Car program in Boise, Idaho.
- Climate change and personal transportation choices.
- A pedestrian bridge across a railyard in Missoula, Montana.
- The process it took to get the pedestrian bridge built.
- The Mayor of Houghton, Michigan, on better pedestrian access.
- The Liveable Winter Cities Association.
- Civil engineering and pedestrians.
- A neighborhood association works to make Houghton more liveable and walkable.
- Pedestrian improvements in Jackson, Wyoming.
- The connection between walking and health.
- A conference on physical activity at the Cooper Institute in Dallas, Texas.
- Active Community Environments in Montgomery, Alabama.
- A citizen works to include peds and bikes in Mississippi state transportation planning.
- Peds and bikes at the Central Mississippi Metropolitan Planning Organization.
- The Sierra Club shares its concerns at a typical suburban intersection in Denver, Colorado.
- Preparations for Walk to School Day in Lexington, Kentucky.
- An old bridge in political limbo in Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- Transportation planning in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Walk To School Day in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
- A new program to train school crossing guards in Fayetteville.
- The mayor of Fayetteville on sidewalks and trails.
- The sidewalk ordinance and good construction standards for new sidewalks in Fayetteville.
- Little steps form big obstacles on a pedestrian bridge in Flourissant, Missouri.